Bisi Bele Bath Masala Powder / Homemade Bisibele bath powder is a flavourful condiment from Karnataka cuisine. It is used in the preparation of the famous Bisibele bath rice, which is commonly available in all hotels and also a staple dish in every home in Karnataka. This powder is slightly similar to our regular Sambar Powder but the addition of byadagi chilli, Marathi moggu, and poppy seeds is the main variation which lends deep red colour and aroma to the powder.
1. Use fresh spices and clean the spices before roasting, as it might have dust or stones.
2. Byadagi chilli is a must ingredient, as it gives deep red colour and authentic taste to the Bisi Bele Bath masala powder.
3. Adjust regular chilli as per spice level required, as byadagi chilli is less spicy.
4. Ensure not to burn the ingredients, else the powder tastes bitter.
5. Don’t skip poppy seeds and marathi moggu, as it adds more aroma to this homemade bisibele bath powder.
6. If preferred, 1 mace, few curry leaves and 1/8 tsp of hing can also be used.
7. 1/4 cup of copra coconut can also be used when roasting, it lends the traditional taste to the powder.
8. If doing in large quantity, you can grind it in flour mill also.
9. Always cool the powder before storing. Also store it in a clean and airtight container without any moisture.
10. Shelf life of this powder is 2 months when kept outside and 6 months under refrigeration.