Kerala Beetroot Thoran Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. This is a small information to my readers who are wondering what is thoran? It is a coconut based vegetable Keralite dish made of finely chopped vegetables such as carrot, beans, cabbage, bitter gourd, unripe jackfruit or even drumstick leaves (Source: Wiki). The chopped veggies are tempered in coconut oil and mixed together with a grounded coconut mixture, alongside with shallots, garlic etc. We had it with hot steaming rice, Kerala parippu curry and instant mango pickle. The taste was completely different from the Tamilnadu style beetroot poriyal, read the recipe till the end, do try it and you will know the difference….. in one word ‘yum’
Find my other Interesting Recipes like
Beetroot Thoran Recipe | Kerala Beetroot Thoran
- 1/4 Kg Beetroot
- 2 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- Salt As Required
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 4 Shallots
- 3 Pods Garlic
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Remove the skin of shallots, garlic, then measure and keep all the other ingredients ready. Now peel the skin of beetroots, rinse well and chop it very finely.
- To a mixer, add shallots, garlic, green chilli, jeera and grated coconut. Then grind everything coarsely without adding water.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and let it splutter. Now add the chopped beets, turmeric powder and required salt.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes, till the beets turn soft.
- Furthermore, add the grounded coconut paste and mix well. Cook for another 3 minutes in low flame, till the raw smell of the coconut paste leaves.Serve this beetroot thoran recipe with hot rice and drumstick sambar.
Tips for Kerala Beetroot Thoran Recipe
- First, chop the beets very finely or grate it, don't use bigger pieces for this beetroot thoran recipe.
- Adjust green chilli as per spiciness required and according to the sweetness of the beets.
- Tempering in coconut oil lends a nice flavour and traditional Kerala beetroot thoran.
- Furthermore, don't miss to add turmeric powder, as it helps to retain the vibrant red colour in the beets.
- Also, cook the beets only till soft and not mushy. Just pour the mentioned level of water and cook.
- Finally, use shallots only for grinding, don't use regular onions.