Mezhukkupuratti is a style of preparation of vegetarian dishes in Kerala, especially in Central Travancore. The veggie is blanched and blended with onion – garlic paste with added chilli for spiciness (Source: Wiki). I have tasted this beans Mezhukkupuratti recipe in Onam Sadhya feast in restaurants but this is the first time, I am preparing in my home for blogging sake. This Kerala style beans stir fry is a simple recipe with just few ingredients, but it has an tongue smacking taste. We had it with Kerala Style Parippu Curry and felt like that Onam festival has come in advance in our home.
If interested check out my other onam recipes….
Beans Mezhukkupuratti Recipe / Kerala style beans stir fry is a simple recipe with just few ingredients, but it has an tongue smacking taste.
- 1/4 Kg Beans
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Salt As Required
- 6 to 8 Shallots
- 4 Pods Garlic
- 2 to 3 Red Chilli
- 1 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut oil
Peel the skin of shallots and garlic. Trim the edges and remove the fibre in the beans. Chop it into 1/2" piece evenly. Boil water in a pan.
Now add the chopped beans, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes in medium flame.
Add salt and cook for few more seconds. The beans should be half cooked only not till mushy. To a mixer/blender add shallots, garlic, red chilli and 1 pinch of turmeric powder.
Grind it to a coarse paste and no need to add water. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and let it splutter.
Add the grinded paste and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame, until the raw smell leaves. Also don't cook the paste till it becomes too dry.
Now add salt, just for the shallots paste only as we have already added for beans. Then add the cooked beans and mix well. Saute for just 1 minute, so the shallot paste and beans incorporates well.
This beans Mezhukkupuratti should look glossy only not dry.
1. Use fresh beans, also remove the fibre part and chop 1/2″ into even sized pieces not small.
2. Also cook the beans in very less water and don’t turn it mushy .
3. If preferred, few coconut pieces can be added for more taste for this beans mezhukkupuratti recipe.
4. Tempering in coconut oil is a must for this kerala style beans stir fry.
5. Ensure the shallots paste is cooked till the raw smell leaves and never make it dry.
6. Don’t cook the beans for long time, just saute and blend with the shallots paste. It should look glossy, moist and little crunchy.
7. Beans can be replaced with long beans, okra, raw banana, yam, carrot etc.