Ada Pradhaman is a dessert similar to Payasam usually prepared during Onam or Vishu. It is prepared with Ada (Rice flakes), coconut milk, jaggery and it is must recipe to end the Onam Sadhya (feast) menu. Nowadays we get readymade ada which makes the preparation of this dessert simpler. But I feel that the ada made from scratch gives original and authentic taste to this recipe. I have tasted this Ada Pradhaman Recipe in Sanjeevanam restaurant here in Bangalore, a couple of years ago, during the Onam Sadhya lunch menu and I had never tasted such a yummy Kerala Ada Payasam till today. Let’s go to the recipe.
Wish you all a Happy Onam 2020
Ada Pradhaman Recipe | Kerala Ada Payasam
- 1/2 Cup Rice Ada
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery
- 1/2 Cup Thin Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 2 Pinch Cardamom Powder
- 10 Cashew
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut Bits
- 1 tbsp Ghee Link for ghee
- First, soak ada in water for 30 minutes. Extract thick and thin coconut milk. Take Jaggery and water in a pan and melt it, strain it through a filter and keep by side. Meanwhile, fry cashews and coconut bits with a tsp of ghee till golden brown.
- Roll boil water in a pan, add the ada, and cook till it is soft and but not mushy (half cooked). Drain the water, and rinse it in cold water for 2 to 3 times. This step is to prevent the ada from sticking.
- Pour the melted jaggery in a pan, and add the cooked ada. Now cook the ada in low flame.
- The ada thickens and now pour thin coconut milk and cook in low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour thick coconut milk and add fried cashews, cardamom powder, coconut bits, ghee and mix well. Don't boil after adding thick coconut milk or else there is a chance to get curdled. Just give a quick stir and switch off the flame.Ada Pradhaman is ready.
Tips for Ada Pradhaman Recipe
2. You can use ready made coconut milk also, but this dessert tastes good with freshly extracted coconut milk
3. I used store-bought ada, the ada used was a little bigger. If using small variety, just soak for 15 minutes.
4. Soaking and cooking time varies on the size of the ada.
5. A pinch of dry ginger (sukku) and roasted cumin powder can also be added to this Kerala Ada Payasam.
6. Payasam thickens with time. To adjust consistency pour little-boiled milk or coconut milk to dilute.
7. Don’t miss to add fried coconut bits which are the highlight of this Ada Pradhaman Recipe.