Vegetable Salna Recipe | Parotta Chalna | Parotta Sidedish
Vegetable Salna prepared at home interesting right!! Yes. Salna or Chalna is a Parotta sidedish usually called as Parotta chalna. This chalna is a very flavourful, spicy, mouthwatering gravy mostly in watery consistency. It is very famous in South India as a street food, almost everyone will be familiar with this Salna. In my hometown Trichy, we could find these shops in every nook and corner, but mostly non-veg versions of salna will be sold. One or two shops would be selling these vegetable salna and till today whenever I go to my hometown, I never miss to taste these yummy salna with crispy parotta’s. For Non-Veg version, vegetables can be replaced with mutton/chicken and it is a sure treat for non vegetarians. Though the ingredient list is long, if you organize everything before preparing, it is simple to make.
1. For more spiciness, you can add few pepper corns while roasting.
2. Never skip cashews while grinding which gives richness to the gravy.
3. For plain chalna, skip all the veggies and go ahead with only onions and tomatoes.
4. Be sure not to burn the spices while roasting which gives a bitter taste to the gravy.
5. Curry leaves and mint leaves adds an excellent flavour to the Parotta Chalna.
6. Don’t skip soya chunks which gives hotel style gravy.
7. Adjust water consistency as per your preferences if you want the salna to be thin or thick.