Medhu Vadai Recipe / Ulundu Vadai is a most popular South Indian snack. It is mostly paired with Idly and pongal as Idli-Vada and Pongal-Vada. Also it tastes delicious when served with hot sambar and coconut chutney for breakfast. You can skip onions and prepare this vada for any festivals or vrats. Do prepare this vada for this Ganesh Chaturthi for Lord Ganesha as naivedyam.
1. Use only whole Urad dal and don’t soak for more than 2 hours.
2. Don’t add too much of water while grinding or else vadai absorbs more oil.
3. Do not grind for long time, or else batter becomes sticky and vadai cannot be shaped well.
4. Add only shallots for good taste.
5. Addition of Jeera and pepper is optional.
6. Also grind the batter smoothly to get soft vadai.
7. Adding raw rice and bengal gram gives crispy vadai. But if you grind the batter properly, then no need to add raw rice or bengal gram, vadai will turn crispy by itself.
8. Keep the batter in refrigerator till use.
9. Also check the temperature of the oil, before frying the Ulundu vadai.
10. If vadai absorbs more oil, add little rice flour or maida.
11. For any festive occasions skip small onions and go ahead with the medhu vadai ecipe.