Tomato Rasam Recipe | Thakkali Rasam
Rasam can be called as an olden days soup. It is traditionally prepared with tamarind extract, tomato, dal, garlic, some herbs and tempered with spices. It is such a comfortable dish that no other kuzhambu / gravies can fill the space of this thakkali rasam. Though the recipe is simple making a perfect rasam with right amount of water, tangy flavour and spiciness is not an easy job at all. Preparing perfect rasam comes by practice and rasam is the only dish that we can alter and adjust the ingredients as per our wish. There are numerous varieties in rasam but this tomato rasam recipe is commonly prepared everywhere. If you know the tricks, rasam can be prepared very easily and quickly, when we are running out of time and even bachelors can give a try. We can also drink the left over rasam directly like soup, which helps in digestion.
1. Adjust chilli’s as per your spiciness for this tomato rasam recipe.
2. Use red ripe tomatoes for nice colour.
3. Country tomatoes gives more tanginess. You can skip tamarind also in this case.
4. Tomatoes can be either chopped and sauted, mashed or pureed for this thakkali rasam.
5. Instead of taking tamarind extract, 1 tsp of readymade tamarind puree also can be used.
6. Ghee can be used for tempering, which adds wonderful flavour.
7. Add hing and garlic generously for a aromatic rasam.
8. The consistency of the rasam should be watery only.
9. Always boil the rasam in low flame.
10. Just give one boil, if you boil more, the rasam does not tastes good.
11. For simple version, ready made rasam powder can also be used.
12. Don’t skip jaggery, as this would help to balance the tanginess.
13. Shelf life of rasam is 2 to 3 days under refrigeration.