Tiffin Sambar Recipe | Hotel Style Tiffin Sambar
This Tiffin Sambar Recipe / Hotel style Tiffin Sambar is specially prepared for tiffin varieties and not the regular sambar we make for rice. Moong dal is used for this sambar which lends an unique taste and it is not heavy as other sambar varieties. Freshly prepared spice powder is used here and it goes very well with dosa, vada and ven pongal too. I love this sambar served in Ratna Cafe in Chennai, where they used to pour a mug of tiffin sambar even for two idli’s. Though the ingredients list looks lengthier this sambar can be prepared very easily in a breeze. Ok lets go to the recipe.
1. Roasting moong dal is optional, but it adds an extra flavour to the sambar.
2. Adjust chilli as per your spice level for this tiffin sambar recipe.
3. For quick version, 1.5 tblsp of ready made sambar powder can be used instead of dry roasting.
4. Don’t add tamarind more than mentioned as this sambar should not be tangy.
5. Veggies choice is purely optional. Veggies like brinjal, pumpkin, drumstick etc can also be used.
6. Add hing and curry leaves generously which lends a wonderful aroma to the sambar.
7. This hotel style tiffin sambar should be in the watery consistency only and not too thick.
8. Addition of jaggery / sugar is optional but it enhances the taste of the sambar.
9. Tempering can be done at last also, which retains the flavour for a longer time.