Semiya Upma | Semiya kichadi | Vermicelli Upma
Please follow and like us:
Semiya Upma or Vermicelli Upma is a very simple and light breakfast to start a day. It tastes good with a spoonful of chutney or sugar. You can prepare this upma simply plain with thin sliced onions and tomatoes or else you can also add veggies of your choice to make it whole some and nutritious. It is also an apt dish for any lazy mornings or Sunday brunch.
Recipe Cuisine – South Indian
Category – Breakfast / Tiffin Items
Preparation + cook time – 25 Minutes
Serves – 2
- Semiya / Vermicelli – ½ cup
- Big Onion – 1
- Green Chilli – 2 to 3
- Mixed veggies – ¼ cup
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch (optional)
- Cashew – 5 to 6 (optional)
- Salt – To taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Oil – 4 tsp
1. Chop onion lengthwise, slit green chillies and crush ginger. Also chop carrot and beans finely. In a pan dry roast vermicelli till golden brown. Don’t let it burn.
2. In the same pan, add oil and temper the items given in the table ‘To temper’. Add onion, green chilli, ginger and fry till transparent.
3. Then add the veggies and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add water and salt. Bring it to roll boil.
4. Now add vermicelli and stir for a while. Cook in low flame until the vermicelli and veggies turns soft but not mushy. Fluff it up and garnish with some coriander leaves and cashews.
Serve this Semiya Upma hot with any chutney or sugar.
1. Veggies choice is optional for Semiya Upma.
2. Water ratio for thick vermicelli is 1:2 cups and fine vermicelli is 1:1.5 cups.
3. You can add ½ tomato or 1 tsp of lemon juice for tangy flavour.