Today I have shared sambar sadam recipe with step by step pictures and video. It is nothing but rice, dal, vegetables cooked with tamarind water, with freshly ground spice powders and tempered with generous amount of ghee. It can be called as a quick, one pot lunch box recipe and a simple appalam / pappad is enough, it’s drool worthy. When I was in Chennai, whenever I go to to Hotel Saravana Bhavan, I never miss to taste the Sambar Rice Recipe and I feel they make the world’s best one. But after few trials and alteration of ingredients, now I am able to prepare the best. This dish is more or less similar or expanded version to the bisebele bath from Karnataka cuisine.
Checkout youtube video below with step wise instructions
1. Use raw rice to get the perfect taste, but boiled rice can also be used.
2. Pressure cook rice and dal for minimum 4 whistles, as it will be easier to mash.
3. Mashing the rice is very important, as it gives a perfect texture and look to the sambar sadham recipe.
4. Use shallots / pearl onions only, as it gives an nice taste to the sambar rice recipe.
5. Veggies like brinjal, chow-chow can also be used, but don’t use cauliflower, arbi, bitter gourd etc.
6. Don’t add tamarind water before the veggies are cooked else it wont get cooked.
7. Also don’t burn the spices while roasting, otherwise the rice taste bitter.
8. For simple version ‘To roast and grind‘ part can be skipped and 1 tbsp of sambar powder can be used.
9. Dry coconut / koppra can be replaced with grated coconut. If you don’t want coconut, feel free to skip it.
10. Use ghee for tempering, as it lends an excellent aroma to the dish.
11. This rice thickens with time, so add little boiled water to adjust the consistency.