Rava Kichadi Recipe | Sooji Khichdi Recipe
Today’s post is about sooji khichdi recipe with step by step pictures and you tube video. It can also be called as ‘semolina kichadi’ and it is one of the most famous South Indian breakfast recipes. This is also a filling breakfast as it is loaded with the goodness of veggies. I prepare it for dinner also when I run out of Idly Batter, and if I feel lazy to prepare other dishes. My mom prepares this so well and she usually adds beetroot along with other veggies to make it more healthy and colourful. This khichdi is easy to prepare and also taste so delicious with melt in mouth texture. If you are worried about calories, you can prepare it with oil also. But ghee is the secret ingredient which gives softness and Hotel style ‘Rava kichadi recipe’. It goes very well with tiffin sambar and coconut chutney, or even a spoonful of sugar is enough.
Checkout my stepwise youtube video for this recipe
1. Veggies choice is purely optional. Carrot, beans, peas, potato and even beetroot can be used.
2. Adjust green chilli as per your spice level for this rava kichadi recipe.
3. Sooji can be dry roasted also. But roasting in ghee adds an excellent aroma to this sooji khichdi recipe.
4. Also don’t burn the sooji while roasting, as it gives bitterness and change the whole taste.
5. Don’t reduce the quantity of ghee as it lends nice aroma and softness to the kichadi.
6. Addition of ginger helps in digestion and also gives flavour to the dish.
7. Ginger can be either crushed / chopped and used. But I used ginger paste as it doesn’t get stuck in mouth when eating.
8. A small piece of cinnamon can be used when tempering, which adds a different flavour.
9. Always use the mentioned quantity of water, as the sooji absorbs the water very quickly. Also keep 1/2 cup of hot water by side in case needed you can add it.
10. Ensure the water is roll boiling, before adding sooji else it doesn’t gets cooked.
11. Also add the sooji very slowly and in a sprinkled way to avoid formation of lumps.
12. Always cook in low flame to get the required soft texture.
13. Cover and cook it as it will splutter too much.
14. Don’t turn the veggies mushy, it should retain its crunchiness.
15. Addition of lemon juice is optional, but it adds more taste to the dish.