Rava idli is the most famous breakfast recipe in Karnataka cuisine. It is also eaten as sidedish during lunch or evening time tiffin. The history of the rava idli is connected with the popular chain of restaurant Mavalli Tiffin Rooms of Bangalore, claims to have invented it and a specialty food in MTR. Even a small restaurant in Karnataka have this rava idli recipe in their menu card. Though i used to prepare this rava idli at home, I mostly prefer to go to MTR restaurant in Lalbagh Road, Bangalore where so many leaders had their breakfast here.
1. I added ginger which adds more flavour, but its optional only.
2. For spiciness, 1 tsp of green chilli paste can be added.
3. Always use sour curd only for this rava idli recipe.
4. A pinch of turmeric powder can be added if you want your idli to be colourful.
5. Eno salt gives a porus texture to the idli as you get in hotels.
6. Baking soda can also be used instead of eno salt.
7. After adding eno salt, don’t give resting time to the idli batter.
8. For variation, grated coconut can also be added to the mould along with cashew while steaming.
9. Tempering the ingredients with ghee gives good taste.