Is there anyone who doesn’t like potatoes? That too small potatoes marinated with aromatic spices and well roasted. I have tried this Potato Pepper Fry Recipe / Small Potato Fry Recipe so many times and it is always a super hit recipe at my home. Whenever I run out of sidedishideas, this dish comes to my mind immediately and it is always a foolproof recipe. It is an apt and simple sidedish for rasam, sambarand even pulao’stoo.
Potato Pepper Fry Recipe
Checkout my video recipe in youtube
Potato Pepper Fry Recipe | Small Potato Fry Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch, Sidedish Preparation + Cook Time: 40 minutes | Serves: 2 to 3
Baby Potato – 1/2 Kg
Big Onion – 1
Chilli Powder – 1.5 tsp
Corn Flour – 2 tsp (optional )
Oil – 2 to 3 tblsp
Salt – As Required
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp (For garnishing)
To Roast & Grind
Pepper Corns – 1.5 tsp
Jeera / Cumin – 1.5 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2″ piece
Cloves – 4 to 5
Garlic – 10 pods
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Whole Pepper – 4 to 5
Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – Few
1. In a Pan dry roast the ingredients listed in the table ‘To Roast & Grind’. Once it cools, grind it in a mixer / blender to a coarse powder.
2. Rinse the potatoes well and pressure cook it for 2 whistles (half cooked). Peel the skin and prick it with a fork. In a mixing bowl, add the potatoes and chilli powder.
3. Now add the roasted and grinded ingredients. Then add corn flour, salt and mix it gently.
4. Add little oil and toss it, so that the potatoes and masala gets blended well. Keep by side for 1/2 an hour. Chop onion length wise.
5. Heat oil in a pan and temper with the ingredients given in the table ‘To Temper’. Add onions and saute till it turns transparent. Then add required salt (only for onion) and the marinated potatoes. Fry in very low flame for about 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes get roasted and turns golden brown. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve it with hot steaming rice and rasam.
Small Potato Fry Recipe
1. Regular potatoes can also be chopped and used. But small potatoes gives a very nice taste.
2. Adjust chilli powder and pepper corn as per your spice level for this potato pepper fry recipe. 3. You can rinse the small potatoes well, fry it with the skin also which adds different flavour. 4. If the small potatoes are big, just halve / slice and use it for this small potato fry recipe. 5. Also don’t over cook the potatoes, half cooked is enough.
6. Never skip to prick the boiled potatoes else it will not absorb the masala. 7. You can crush or chop the garlic and use it. But I dry roasted and grinded it. 8. Small potatoes can be marinated over night as well. 9. For a different taste, 1 tsp of garam masala powder / chat masala powder can also be used.
10. You can make it plain without onion also as no onion version.
11. For a tangy taste, 1/2 tomato can used while sauting, or 1 tsp of lemon juice can be added at last.
12. If you don’t like the smell of cinnamon and cloves, just go ahead with jeera and pepper corns only.