Potato Bajji | Aloo Bajji | Urulai Kizhangu Bajji
Please follow and like us:
Potato Bajji aslo known as aloo bajji or urulai kizhangu bajji is a perfect snack which can be prepared within 20 mins. It pairs well with cocnut chutney or tomato ketchup or else it tastes great as such.
Recipe Cuisine – South Indian
Category – Snack
Preparation + cook time -25 Minutes
Serves – 4
- Potato – 1 (large)
- Bengal Gram flour – ½ cup
- Rice atta – ¼ cup
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Jeera Powder / Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1 generous pinch
- Food Colour – 1 pinch (optional)
- Salt and water – As needed
- Ghee – 2 tsp (optional)
- Cooking soda – 2 pinch
- Oil – For deep frying
1. Peel the skin of the potato and wash it. Slice it little thick or thin with a knife or slicer. Keep them immersed in water till use, to avoid color change. Take a bowl, mix everything given in the table above except oil and potato slices.
2. Add water little by little to form a thick batter. The batter should be like dosa batter consistency. Add 1 small ladle of hot oil to the batter. Take the potato slice out of water and drain the water completely.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Dip and coat the potato slices in the batter on both sides and drop it in the oil. Fry them both sides until golden brown. Drain the Potato Bajji in kitchen towel.
Serve the Potato Bajji with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
1. Don’t slice the potatoes thick or else the bajji will not get cooked inside.
2. Adding cooking soda gives soft and fluffy bajji.
3. Also don’t add more soda than mentioned or else bajji absorbs too much oil.
4. You can also add a tsp of ghee to the batter which lends a nice flavour to the Potato Bajji.