Poori Masala Recipe | Potato Masala for Poori
Poori Masala Recipe is usually made with boiled potatoes, along with onions, green chilli and tempered with some simple spices. It also called as poori kizhangu / urulai kizhangu masal in Tamil. Though there are so many varieties of korma, gravies, and subji’s for poori, this potato masala for poori is always a hot and classic combo. I love the poori masala served in Saravana Bhavan with cashews. So I would like to use cashews whenever I prepare this masala. We can call this as a made for each other pair. It is also simple to prepare and the left over masala can be used to prepare masala dosa.
Checkout my poori recipe / how to make puffy poori.
1. Adjust green chilli according to your spice level.
2. Don’t skip ginger, as it helps to relieve from digestion / gastric problems.
3. Garlic cloves also can be added which enhances the flavour.
4. For variation, ginger garlic paste can be used.
5. Addition of cashews gives a good taste to the masala. But its optional only.
6. For tangy taste, tomato can be added.
7. Other veggies like peas, beans can also be used. You can make it with only potatoes also.
8. Don’t add turmeric powder more than mentioned, as this masala should be in light yellow color. The masala gets the color when it thickens.
9. For a creamy and restaurant style, mix besan flour / corn flour (2 tsp) with 1 tblsp of water and add to the masala.
10. If you don’t want to use any flour, mash one potato well and add it. This technic also gives a creamy masala.
11. This potato masala for poori thickens with time, so switch off flame when it’s slight watery consistency.
12.This poori masala can be used to prepare masala dosa.