Pineapple Jam Recipe | Homemade Pineapple Jam
Making jams at home is really a easy process, and it doesn’t require any long list of ingredients or extra ordinary cooking skills. I bought a large sized pineapple last week and made two recipes with the same pineapple.This pineapple jam recipe / homemade pineapple jam doesn’t have any preservative or food colour and it is pectin free also. As we don’t use pectin, addition of lemon juice is very important, for safe canning and to prevent the growth of bacteria. It also taste and smell so heavenly and no introduction is needed for this yummy jam.
Checkout my stepwise youtube video for this Jam recipe
1. If preferred bite sized pineapple pieces can be added to this pineapple jam recipe.
2. Adjust sugar as per your taste and ripeness of the pineapple.
3. Use heavy bottomed vessel, else the jam gets burnt at the bottom.
4. Use ripe pineapple with pleasant smell, which adds nice flavour for this homemade pineapple jam.
5. Addition of food colour and pineapple essence is optional only. I didn’t use food colour.
6.Never add the lemon juice, before the jam cools down completely.
7. Always store the jam in a dry and clean container. Also use a dry spoon each time as it increases the shelf life. That is, the container should be fully sterilized.
8. Don’t add lemon juice more than the mentioned quantity, else the jam tastes tangy.
9. Shelf life of this jam is 1 month under refrigeration.
10. Also bring the jam to room temperature before use, as it thickens slightly under refrigeration.
Tips for buying Pineapple
1. Pineapple should be firm but not hard.
2. Select pineapple with deep green leaves,which indicates freshness.
3. Don’t buy pineapple which has soft spot or dark areas on the skin.
4. To check ripeness: if ripe it will smell sweet and pleasant, unriped pineapple won’t smell.
5. If it is over riped, it smells like vinegar and has the odour of fermenting.