Pav Bhaji Recipe | Mumbai Pav Bhaji
Please follow and like us:
Bhaji is a traditional name for a veg dish, the pav/pau/pao was a Portuguese word for bread [small rolls] introduced by them during their brief presence in Mumbai[source- wiki]. Commonly this is a street food in Mumbai, by the time the dish become world famous as ‘Mumbai Pav Bhaji’. It is a perfect chat for potluck and fussy kids to make eat veggies, as they don’t notice any veggies in the bhaji.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snack / Street Food
Preparation + Cook Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 2 to 3
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Potato – 2
- Mixed Veggies – 1 cup
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 tblsp
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Butter – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
For Toasting Pav Buns / Serving
- Pav Buns as needed
- Onion chopped finely as needed
- Lemon Wedges
- Butter to toast Pav buns
1. Chop onions and tomatoes finely. Keep by side. Peel the skin of potato and carrot. Wash and chop all the veggies. In a pressure cooker, cook the veggies for 3 whistles with little water. Then mash all the veggies with masher.
2. In a pan add butter and saute onion till they turn transparent. Now add ginger garlic paste, tomatoes and fry till the raw smell leaves.
3. Now add chilli powder, mashed veggies and Pav Bhaji masala. Stir well till the masala and mashed veggies incorporates well.
4. Then add salt and mash the veggies with masher directly in the pan. Close it with a lid and cook it in simmer for another 10 mins. Stir it in the middle. Now the bhaji will be ready in the right consistency not too dry or watery. Finally add a blob of butter and garnish with coriander leaves.
For making Pav Buns
1. Slice the pav buns in the middle, heat the tawa, add some butter. Place the pav buns on the tawa and toast it in simmer for a minute on all sides. You can also toast the pav buns with little bhaji in the middle.
Enjoy this Pav Bhaji hot with onions and lemons squeezed on top.
1. If you are calorie conscious, prepare pav bhaji in oil. But this Pav Bhaji taste better with butter.
2. After adding the mashed veggies while cooking it splutter too much, so close with a lid and cook.
3. This Pav bhaji always taste good with good quality Pav Bhaji masala and butter.
4. If you dont have pav buns in hand, you can use regular buns or even bread too.
5. Veggies choice is purely optional. I used potato, carrot, capsicum, cauliflower and green peas. But always keep potato as base.