Palada Pradhaman Recipe | Palada Payasam Recipe
This palada pradhaman recipe is a traditional kerala delicacy, usually made during Onam, Vishu and other festive occasions. It calls only for basic and minimal ingredients like ada, milk, sugar which is very simple to prepare. I have heard from my malayali friends, that the original recipe is a laborious process, that ada is made from scratch, sugar is caramelized to attain the cream colour and milk is reduced to half quantity. Everything is done in simmer which takes hours and no cashews or raisins are used. I have already shared ada pradhaman which is prepared with jaggery, ada and coconut bits. Do try this palada payasam recipe for vishu which falls on 14 April 2017.
1. Adjust sugar level as per sweetness preferred for this palada pradhaman recipe.
2. For more richness and creaminess 1/4 cup of condensed milk can be used. But reduce the sugar level.
3. Soaking the ada in hot water helps in easy cooking.
4. Also step 3, rinsing the ada in running water is very important as it avoids the ada sticking to each other.
5. Always use a heavy bottomed vessel or non stick pan to avoid the ada sticking to the bottom of the pan .
6. If the ada is larger in size, just break a little for quick cooking.
7. Traditionally no cashews or raisins are used to prepare this palada payasam recipe.
8. This payasam thickens with time, dilute it with warm milk and little sugar before serving.
9. A pinch of salt can be added, which enhances the sweet of this payasam.
10. Always stir the payasam at regular intervals to avoid burning at the bottom.
11. If you have homemade ada, no pre- preparation work is needed, just use it directly.
12. Cardamom pods can be replaced with 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.