Nei Appam Recipe (Ghee Appam) | Karthigai Appam
Nei appam (Ghee Appam) is actually made from grinding rice with grated coconut, added jaggery and fried in ghee generously. As the name calls for Nei Appam, the whole flavour of the appam comes from ghee only, so leave about calories for a day and try this delicious Nei appam recipe for this karthigai deepam. It is also called as Unni Appam in kerala. Try this karthigai appam for neivedhyam tomorrow and wish you all a happy karthigai deepam.
Check out my wheat flour appam recipe for this karthigai deepam
1. Always use ripe banana only, which gives sponginess and flavour to the nei appam recipe.
2. Banana can be substituted with 2 tblsp of urad dal. Soak and grind urad dal along with rice.
3. For instant version, readymade rice flour can be used instead of grinding raw rice. But authentic nei appam calls for grinding rice.
4. Batter should not be thick or too thin, it should be in the dosa batter consistency.
5. If the batter is thick, the appam’s will turn hard.
6. If the batter is thin, the appam’s will absorb more ghee / oil.
7. For trouble shooting, if the batter turns watery add little rice flour.
8. I grinded the coconut along with rice, but you can add it separately to the batter also.
9. Instead of grated coconut you can also add coconut bits to the batter.
10. Adding salt enhances the sweetness of the karthigai appam.
11. This appam can be deep fried in oil also.
12. If you are calorie conscious appam can be fried in sesame oil also, but ghee only gives the perfect taste.
13. Don’t give resting time after adding cooking soda, also don’t add more than mentioned.
14. Addition of dry ginger powder is optional but helps in digestion and adds flavour.