This Mint rice recipe is such a flavourful and also a quick lunch box rice variety, which can be easily prepared in a jiffy. I have tried other versions of this rice, but this is the first time, I am trying this mint pulao recipe. Whenever I buy mint leaves in my weekly purchase, I usually prepare Veg biriyani / Brinji rice or Thengai paal rice. If you have any sudden cravings for biriyani, just add some veggies like carrot, beans, cauliflower etc to this pulao and you can call this as an instant version of biriyani. As all of us know mint leaves has so many medicinal values. It helps in digestion, relieves from blocked nose, a great appetizer and mouth freshner too. Ok, over to the recipe…
Mint Rice Recipe
Checkout my stepwise youtube video for this recipe
Mint Pulao Recipe | Mint Rice Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category: Main course / Rice varieties Preparation + Cook time: 45 Mins | serves : 2 to 3
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Big onion – 1
Potato – 1
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Garam masala Powder – 2 tsp
Water – 1.5 cup
Salt – As required
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Mint Leaves / Coriander leaves – 3/4 cup
Green Chilli – 3 to 4
Ginger – 1 Small piece
Garlic – 4 to 5 pods
Coconut – 2 to 3 tblsp
Water – 1/4 cup to grind
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Star Anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1” piece
Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 2
Cashew Nuts – 7 to 8 (optional)
Ghee / Oil – 2 tblsp
1. First get ready with the ingredients. Clean mint / coriander leaves, peel the skin of garlic and ginger. In a mixer, grind all the ingredients listed in the table ‘To grind’. Add 1/4 cup of water and grind it to a smooth paste. 2. Rinse the rice well and soak in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain the water and keep the rice aside. Slice the onion lengthwise and cube the potato. In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and temper all the ingredients given in the table ‘To temper’. Also fry the cashews till golden brown. 3. Add onions and saute till it transparent .Then pour the grinded paste and add the cubed potato. 4. Add green peas, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and 1.5 cup of water.
5. Add required salt and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the drained rice.
6. Squeeze lemon juice and give a gentle mix without breaking the rice grains. pressure cook the rice in medium / temperature for 2 whistles. Once the pressure subsides by itself, open the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork (You can prepare it as an one pot meal also).
Serve this mint pulao with simple onion raitha.
Mint Pulao Recipe
1. Other rice varieties like jeeraga samba, sona masoori or even left over rice can also be used.
2. Adjust green chilli as per your spice level for this mint pulao recipe.
3. For variation veggies like carrot, beans, cauliflower or even broccoli can be added.
4. Instead of grinding coconut, 1/4 cup of coconut milk can be used, which adds more taste. But adjust water accordingly. 5. Don’t skip turmeric powder as it gives bright green colour to this mint rice recipe.
6. Grind the mint leaves, just before cooking else it turns dark in colour.
7. Lemon juice can be replaced with 1/2 chopped tomato.
This site is copy protected. Please do not copy the pictures without permission. Your comments are really appreciated. Bloggers do not give link backs. Thanks for visiting this space.
Welcome to my blog www.asmallbite.com. Thanks for reading my blog! I hope you’re enjoying my recipes to make the taste forever. I am Priya Santhamohan, writer cum photographer (with hubby’s help) of this blog. Read more…