Lady’s Finger Sambar | Vendakkai Sambar
Please follow and like us:
Vendakkai Sambar is a very quick and basic sambar recipe which can be prepared without much effort. Even beginners and bachelors can prepare this sambar. It is also a staple sambar recipe in most of the South Indian homes.
Recipe cuisine – South Indian
Recipe category – Lunch Side Dish
Preparation + cooking time – 35 Mins
Serves – 3 to 4
- Toor Dal – ½ cup
- Tamarind – Medium gooseberry sized
- Lady’s finger – 15
- Small onion – 7 to 8
- Tomato – 2 small
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Sambar Powder – 3 tsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Methi Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Hing – 2 pinch
- Red chilly – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 Sprig
- Oil or Ghee – 1 tblsp
1. Rinse lady’s finger well, trim both the ends, chop into 1 inch piece. Peel small onions and chop tomatoes. Pressure cook dal for 4 whistles, soak tamarind in water, extract tamarind pulp.
2. Add 1tsp of oil in a kadai, and saute lady’s finger till the stickiness leaves. Keep by side. Heat oil in a vessel and temper the items given in the table ‘To Temper’. Then add onion, tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy. Add lady’s finger and stir for a while. Now add dal water and tamarind water.
3. To this add turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Boil in low flame until the veggie gets cooked. Add mashed dal, boil for 5 minutes in low flame and mix well. Garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve it with hot rice and any deep fried veggies.
1. Adding ghee for tempering gives, very nice flavour to the Vendakkai Sambar.
2. Sauteing the veggie is very important or else it will become slimy while cooking.
3. Add hing and curry leaves generously for a flavourful Vendakkai Sambar.
Lady’s Finger Sambar