Kadhamba Sambar Recipe | Festive Sambar Recipe
Please follow and like us:
Kadhamba Sambar is a traditional South Indian dish. Kadhambam means ‘Mixed’, since we use lot of vegetables in this recipe this name has been derived. This sambar is mostly made during festive days like Thiruvadirai, Vaikunta Ekadesi etc. You can skip onions and prepare this recipe on these days with 21 vegetables. I always use freshly ground masala’s which gives a great aroma to the dish. The taste of this sambar varies with the veggies we add, never skip potatoes which lends a nice taste to this sambar.
Recipe Cuisine – South Indian
Category – Lunch Side Dish
Preparation + cook time – 50 Minutes
Serves – 4
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Urad Dal – ½ tsp
Fenugreek – ¼ tsp
Jeera – ½ tsp
Hing – 2 pinch
Red chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Oil/Ghee – 1 tblsp
To Roast and Grind
Channa Dal – 3 tsp
Dhaniya seeds – 4 tsp
Red Chilli – 3 to 4
Fenugreek – ½ tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Whole pepper – 3 to 4
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1.Chop small onions, tomatoes and veggies.. Pressure cook dal for 5 whistles. Mash dal well. Soak tamarind in water and extract tamarind pulp.
2. In a pan, roast all the ingredients given in the table ‘To Roast and Grind’. Switch off flame, add coconut, curry leaves, and saute for a while. Let it cool. Grind it in a mixer with little water to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a kadai, and temper all the ingredients listed in the table ‘To temper’. Let it splutter. Now add onion and fry till transparent. Then add tomato and all the veggies and saute till the raw smell of the veggies leaves.
4. Now add dal water, tamarind water, turmeric powder and salt. Boil until all the veggies cooked. Now add ground paste and mix well to avoid lumps.
5 Add mashed dal, and boil for few minutes in medium flame. Drizzle a tsp of ghee. Switch off the flame and keep covered for 10 minutes to retain the aroma.
Serve this Kadhamba Sambar it with steamed rice or any poriyal and papad.
1. Adjust chillies as per your spice level.
2. After adding grinded spices sambar thickens, adjust water accordingly.
3. I used carrot, beans, potato and radish. You can also use drumstick, brinjal, okra, pumpkin, turnip, plantain etc. Veggies choice is purely optional for this Kadhamba Sambar.
4. Dal should be cooked well. Also grind the spices little coarsely which gives a traditional style of Kadhamba Sambar.
Kadhamba Sambar Curry