Idli Sambar Recipe | Instant Sambar for Idli
This Idli Sambar recipe / Instant Sambar for idli is a perfect and heavenly combo with hot steaming idli’s. I have already shared shared a hotel style tiffin sambar, which is little bit lengthy that calls for roasting and grinding. But this sambar is really an instant version which can be prepared under 25 mins. This is a signature recipe of my mom, she usually prepare this sambar for our guests along with idli, medu vada, kichadi or ven pongal. Addition of bengal gram is a twist to the recipe which adds more taste and I suggest to use homemade sambar powder than ready made ones. Ok lets go the recipe.
1. Bengal gram can be replaced with moong dal / masoor dal.
2. This sambar cannot be prepared with toor dal alone, as it doesn’t taste like idli sambar. The whole taste depends on the addition of bengal gram.
3. Adjust green chilli as per spiciness required. If you want it more on the spicier side increase green chilli.
4. Use green chilli only, which adds more taste for this instant sambar for idli.
5. Shallots can be replaced with regular onions, but shallots lends more taste.
6. Use the mentioned number of tomatoes, as we don’t use tamarind in this recipe. Also the tanginess in the tomatoes is enough.
7. This sambar taste good with shallots alone. But veggies like carrot, brinjal, drumstick, potato etc can be used.
8. This idli sambar recipe should be in the watery consistency only, not too thick.
9. Tempering at last, helps to retain the flavour for a long time.
10. Use ghee for tempering which adds excellent aroma to this sambar.
11. Also add hing and curry leaves generously while tempering.
12. Addition of jaggery / sugar is a must, as it gives a restaurant touch to the sambar.