Idli Milagai Podi | Idli Podi Recipe
Idli Milagai Podi is a spicy flavourful sidedish served with idli, dosa along with chutney and sambar. This idli milagai podi is prepared from dals, spiced with red chilli’s slow roasted in a pan and grinded into powder. It is traditionally called as Idli molaga podi / thool in the households of TamilNadu. This Idli podi recipe is a rescuer for busy people who are running out of time and serves as a substitute for chutneys.
1. Slow roast all the ingredients in low flame, avoid burning it, as it would change the whole taste.
2. Ingredients can be dry roasted also, but I used little oil as it gives colour to the idli podi recipe.
3. Adjust chilli and pepper corns as per your spice level.
4. The colour of the Idli milagai podi purely depends on the chilli’s used.
5. Black sesame seeds can be used, but the colour of the podi would be dark (I used white sesame seeds).
6. Don’t skip sesame seeds and curry leaves which adds a wonderful aroma to the podi.
7. This podi can be grinded into a smooth / coarse powder as preferred.
8. Just double the ingredients if you want to prepare in large quantity.
9. Addition of jaggery is optional, it gives a mild sweetness and enhances the taste of the podi.
10. Shelf life of this podi is 2 to 3 months, but I always prepare for 15 days as podi retains its freshness.