Thaen Mittai or Honey Sugar Candy is actually a village or country side candy. It is called as Thaen Mittai but there is actually no honey inside this candy. The taste of this candy is so yummy that when we chew this candy, the sugar syrup oozes out and it’s taste like honey, hence got the name Thaen Mittai. It is very famous among the kids in Tamilnadu, and it can be seen in each and every petty shops (potti kadai). Nowadays it is hard to find these Thaen Mittai even in villages. Though there are lot of fancy sweets today, I always have a craze towards this Honey Sugar Candy. It was my dream to make this thaen mittai at home. But after 3 trails and errors, I got the right texture, shape and taste perfectly, and it’s my bookmarked recipe to try it in future.
1. Soaking time of rice and urad dal should be definitely 3 hours, so when you grind it, the batter will be fluffy.
2. The consistency of the batter should be thick only, just sprinkle water while grinding.
3. Baking powder / soda is a must ingredient in this recipe or else honey sugar candy will be hard.
4. Fry the thaen mittai till crispy, so that it dont become soggy, after dipping it in the sugar syrup.
5. The sugar syrup should not be too thick or else the thaen mittai doesn’t absorb the syrup properly.
6. The sugar syrup should be warm while adding the balls, so that it absorbs quickly.