Rasam Powder Recipe | Homemade Rasam Powder / Podi
This rasam powder recipe helps to prepare rasam in a breeze. All the spices that are used while preparing rasam are combined and grinded into rasam powder, just add few teaspoons of this powder to the tamarind – tomato base, give a boil and your rasam is ready. If you are an office goer or a busy homemaker, you can sun dry the ingredients for 2 to 3 days and grind it, no dry roasting is needed which saves your time. For the past couple of years only, I am preparing rasam powder on my own, before that I used to buy commercial packets. But I feel it is expensive too and we don’t get the aroma as we get in homemade rasam powder / podi.
1. Adjust chilli’s as per spiciness preferred, also the colour / spiciness of the rasam powder depends on the type of the chilli’s used.
2. Use byadigi / kashmiri chillies for bright red colour. I used normal chilli’s only.
3. Channa dal gives thickness to the rasam, so it is a must ingredient.
4. Curry leaves lends nice aroma to this homemade rasam powder / podi.
5. Methi seeds gives special flavour to this rasam powder recipe. But you can skip it and use when tempering.
6. Always clean all the spices once before roasting to get rid of stones and dust.
7. You can dry roast all the ingredients also, but I used little oil.
8. For simple version, sun dry all the spices for 2 to 3 days and grind it in flour mill, if doing in large batches.
9. I used turmeric sticks which adds nice aroma and colour. In case you don’t have virali manjal in hand, you can use turmeric powder also.
10. Always cool down the powder completely before storage, there should be no moisture.
11. Use a clean and dry container / ziplock cover to avoid bugs.
12. Shelf life of this podi is 2 months under refrigeration, use a dry spoon every time.