This Fennel Seeds Chutney or Sombu Chutney (Tamil) is prepared by grinding fennel seeds, coconut, small onion and chilli as main ingredient. As a kid, whenever I visit my grandmom’s house in Srirangam, Trichy, she used to make this chutney with hot ghee dosa’s. Still I could recollect those nostalgic memories about the taste of this chutney. As all of us know munching on a few fennel seeds will refresh our breath after an odorous meal and get rid of bad breath. Fennel seeds is good for reducing obesity, as it suppresses the appetite and creates a feeling of fullness and it works as a natural fat buster by breaking down the fats. As I could not find this version of sombu chutney in internet elsewhere, I called my mom to pass this recipe to me. Also I am very happy that I am the first to share this version of Sombu Chutney / Fennel Seeds Chutney through my blog.
1. Adjust red chilli’s according to your spice level.
2. Don’t use green chillies for this fennel seeds chutney.
3. Use only small onions for good taste.
4. Don’t overcook the sombu chutney, or make it dry.
5. Use gingelly oil while tempering, which gives nice flavour.
6. You can add slightly little more fennel seeds for dominant fennel flavour as per your preference,