This Badam Kheer Recipe is a very yummy, rich Indian dessert, prepared with almonds, milk, flavoured with cardamoms and enriched with saffrons. This Almond kheer Recipe is a simple dessert, yet tastes delicious when served chilled after a heavy lunch or dinner. It is loved by all irrespective of ages, especially kids as they don’t identify the almonds in the kheer and it is very healthy too undoubtedly.
Almond Kheer Recipe
Badam Kheer Recipe | Almond Kheer Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category: Desserts Preparation + Cooking Time : 25 Mins | Serves : 3 to 4
Badam / Almonds – 1/4 Cup
Milk – 3 Cups
Sugar – 1/4 Cup
Cardamom – 3
Saffron – Few strands
Ghee – 1 tsp
Pistachios – 5 (For garnishing)
1. Soak almonds in water for 2 to 3 hours. Peel the skin of almonds and rinse well. Chop few almonds and reserve it for garnishing. Then soak saffron in 1/8 cup of warm milk. For quick version almonds can be soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and skin can be peeled. Transfer the almonds and cardamom to a mixer / blender. 2. Then add milk and saffron, grind it into a smooth paste. Reserve little saffron and milk to add at last stage. Don’t add water or extra milk to grind the almonds as it spills and create a mess.3. In a heavy bottomed pan, pour the milk and let it boil. Then add the grinded almond paste. Boil the milk and almond paste in low flame for 5 to 6 minutes until the raw smell leaves. Stir it now and then, else it gets burnt at the bottom. 4. Add sugar, saffron and mix well. Boil it in low flame for another 2 minutes. 5. After saffron is added, colour changes and switch off flame when it thickens a little. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a small pan and add chopped almonds. Fry a little until nice flavour wafts.
6. Add the fried almonds to the kheer and mix well. Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron.
Serve this Badam kheer chilled.
Badam Kheer Recipe
1. Cashews and almonds can be used in equal proportion to prepare this badam kheer recipe. There will be no difference in taste.
2. Adjust sugar as per sweetness preferred for this almond kheer recipe. 3. 1/8 cup of condensed milk can be used which lends creamy texture, but reduce the sugar level.
4. Cardamoms can be replaced with 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder. 5. I suggest to grind the cardamoms with almonds, as it gives more flavour. 6. Use good quality almonds and saffron.
7. For bright colour, 1 pinch of yellow food colour can be used. But I didn’t used any food colour.
8. Switch off flame, when the kheer is in slight running consistency itself, as it thickens with time. 9. To adjust consistency, add little chilled milk at the time of serving.
10. Always prepare this kheer 2 hours prior to serving, so the flavours get infused well.
11. Shelf life of this badam kheer is 2 to 3 days under refrigeration.
12. For badam drink mix powder: Just dry roast the almonds, powder it with sugar, cardamoms and saffron. Mix the required quantity with chilled milk and enjoy it.
This site is copy protected. Please do not copy the pictures without permission. Your comments are really appreciated. Bloggers do not give link backs. Thanks for visiting this space.
Welcome to my blog www.asmallbite.com. Thanks for reading my blog! I hope you’re enjoying my recipes to make the taste forever. I am Priya Santhamohan, writer cum photographer (with hubby’s help) of this blog. Read more…