Aval Kesari | Poha Sheera | Gokulashtami Recipes
Aval Kesari or Poha Sheera is a sweet made with aval or flattened rice. Usually kesari is the most simplest and popular sweet prepared for almost all auspicious occasions throughout India. Only the name changes as Kesari bath in Kannada, Sheera in Marathi and Kesari in Tamil. Try this Aval kesari for this Gokulashtami / Janmashtami which falls on 25/08/2016 this Thursday and offer to Lord Krishna as Prasadham who is very fond of Aval.
1. Use Ghee generously which gives a good taste to the aval kesari.
2. Don’t over roast the aval and turn it brown, it will change the whole flavour of the kesari.
3. I used thin variety aval, if using thick variety double the water quantity.
4. For a rich taste, you can cook aval in milk also.
5. Add sugar after the poha is fully cooked or else the kesari will be hard.
6. This kesari thickens with time, so switch of flame when it is in slight flowing consistency.